WASH OFFICERApply for this job
Duty Station:MOROTO, UG
Salary Scale:Not Specified
Deadline:May 05, 2023 11:00 PM
Number of Positions:1
Age Limit:Not Specified
Download Job DetailsDownload File
The WASH Officer will take lead and provide technical support in the WASH in the base. S/he will lead the planning and rolling out WASH behavioural change activities, community mobilization and sensitisation of targeted beneficiaries on Hygiene and sanitation activities in the settlement in collaboration with the team and under management of the PM. The officer will also take lead overseeing household latrine construction support activities and WASH kit distributions.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
1.Provide technical support to the implementation of WASH interventions
- Ensure timely household latrine construction by the targeted households.
- Promote Safe water storage and good sanitation and hygiene practices at the household level.
- Participate in all program assessments and researches on Behavioural change and project implementation
- Support the PM to identify household’s sanitation needs and design appropriate WASH approaches, HESAN promotion topics, sessions and BCC materials.
- Capacity building of CBFs and Hygiene promoters on basics of hygiene promotion/education, methods/approaches, communication and facilitation skills.
- Training of local youth artisans on fabrication of dome slabs and latrine construction
- Training of youth groups on HH latrine construction to support PSN beneficiaries.
- Technically Support CBFs to prepare detailed implementation plans for community mobilization, and sensitisation and monitoring latrine construction and use and other HESAN practices with PM support
- Take lead in all community participatory WASH sessions geared at promotion of good hygiene and sanitation practices.
2.Build the capacity of WASH Community based facilitators to effectively implement WASH activities
- Conduct detailed induction and orientation of new staff under your supervision ensuring that all relevant documents and tools of work are shared with new staff
- Identify training needs and build capacity of WASH CBFs in all key technical programme aspects.
- Provide capacity development training and support to the key stakeholders & project staff to effectively mobilize and deliver WASH related to beneficiaries.
- Ensure that staff under your supervision are effectively prepared and supported to deliver their tasks and perform to expectation.
- Participate in beneficiary profiling, beneficiary registration, and base line-end line assessments in WASH activities through technical review and guidance on data collection tools.
- Participate in all project review assessments, surveys and studies and ensure these are conducted as per protocol.
- Document and compile reports on project activities including Monthly & Quarterly donor reports, internal reports (Project Activity Reports (APRs) and activity reports (meetings, and any other activity).
- Support the establishment of a database for all project activities to regularly monitor and evaluate their activities.
- Take leadership in reporting on project progress, success stories and lessons learned during project implementation.
- Coordination and representation
- Participate in appropriate multi-district activities related to WASH.
- Ensure that stakeholders are sensitized on program accountability and have information on beneficiary feedback mechanism.
- Work closely with relevant district departments, UNHCR and OPM to share relevant information.
- Participate in internal and external meetings as per the PM guidance
- Coordinate with other sections of Action Against Hunger and all other stakeholders in the response.
- Attend donor meetings and field visits as required.
- Deliver diligently in any other duties as assigned from time to time
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
Provide technical supervision to WASH CBFs
o A minimum of a bachelors Degree in Development Studies, Public Health or other relevant field with
- Four (4) years’ continuous experience implementing WASH related activities.
- Previous work with a busy multi-sectoral setting in a refugee setting is an asset
- Knowledge and practical experience in value chain development.
- Knowledge and practical experience in public private partnerships.
- Previous work experience with farmer organizations.
- Capacity building of organizations and individuals
- Participatory training methodologies
- Network of private sector contacts
- Strong presentation skills with mastery of Power point, Excel, MS word
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) in English
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Team player, extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Excellent reporting skills with good oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the local language is an added advantage
- Culturally sensitive
- Ability to ride a motorcycle and possession of a valid riding permit